Preparing your home and business for winter
There are many things you can do to help prepare your home and/or business for all winter throws at us.
With the holiday season upon us, we all know that means winter and all Mother Nature has to unleash is not far behind. Colder temperatures can bring frozen pipes, puffbacks, ice dams, and the flu. There are however many things you can do to help prepare your home and/or business for all winter throws at us.
Preparing your home:
- Keep cabinet doors open during cold spells so warm air can circulate around pipes.
- Keep a slow trickle of water flowing through faucets especially if they run through unheated or uninsulated areas of your home.
- Ensure gutter are clean and secure. Leaves and debris can accumulate in gutters which could lead to roof problems and water damage.
- Proper maintenance of your furnace can help reduce the risk of puffbacks.
Preparing your business:
- Inspect your business property for downed tree limbs and branches. Heavy wind , rain, ice, or snow can cause branches to fall which could cause damage to the property and potentially cause personal injuries.
- Check walkways and parking lots for proper drainage to alleviate flood hazard potential.
- Inspect all handrails, stairwells, and entryways to address and correct potentially slippery or hazardous areas. Install mats or non-slip surfaces and post caution signs where water could be present.
- Contact your local Sales & Marketing Representative at SERVPRO® of The Andovers, and ask about starting and Emergency Ready Profile (ERP) for your business. Click here to learn more about the ERP.
Space Heaters Need Their Space
In the colder months many of us turn to space heaters as an additional source of comfort when the temperatures drop. The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) warns that while portable space heater devices do generate heat they also present potential fire hazards and must be used with caution. Half of all home heating fires occur in the months of December, January, and February.* Below are some safety measures to keep in mind before turning on your space heater.
- Buy a unit that is the correct size for the area you wish to heat.
- We are sure this goes without saying, but read all the instructions before plugging the space heater into the wall and turning it on.
- If you are taking the unit out for the season make sure you inspect it. Check the power cord for damage and be sure it isn’t hot to the touch when plugged into the wall.
- Don’t leave the heater on in an unattended room.
- Place the space heater on a hard, level, nonflammable surface.
- Keep a three-foot perimeter around the unit to help prevent a fire.
- Never place a space heater in wet or moist place such as a bathroom. This could lead to fire or shock.
- Be mindful of children and pets. They could easily knock over the heater or touch it causing serious harm.
- Consider unplugging the unit when not in use.
- Never leave a space heater on when you go to sleep.
Practicing good safety measures can reduce the risk of fire in your home, but keep in mind accidents can and do happen. If you find yourself in a fire situation SERVPRO® of The Andovers can help. We are available 24/7/365.
Beyond Water, Fire, and Mold
We also provide general cleaning and deodorization services for situations resulting from vandalism including graffiti, egg, and spoiled foods,.
Arson and Vandalism
We are recognized as leaders at helping property owners recover quickly from fire and water damage. We also provide general cleaning and deodorization services for situations resulting from vandalism including graffiti, egg, spoiled foods, and human or animal waste.
Biohazard, Vandalism & Crime Scene Remediation and Cleanup
Exposure to biological and chemical contaminants can pose serious health consequences for building occupants, employees, customers and owners. Failure to properly handle and safely remove such substances can contribute to unhealthy and even dangerous environments.
SERVPRO® of Salem/Plaistow Professionals are trained to safely and effectively remove hazardous biological substances and prepare waste for proper disposal according to OSHA, EPA, and state and local health regulations. Equipped with the necessary safety equipment and cleaning products, our trained certified professionals, help turn unsafe environments into clean, safe homes and businesses.
Sewage backups and black water intrusions are more than nasty and smelly. These damages also introduce harmful microorganisms into a structure. Trained Professionals remove the sewage, contaminants, and moisture disinfecting as they clean to ensure the structure is cleaned, disinfected, and deodorized.
Hoarders typically collect excessive amount of items. As these items pile up in a home it can create a serious safety hazard. Hoarder homes become a breeding ground for pests and possibly unsafe pathogens. SERVPRO® of Salem/Plaistow has the necessary tools to safely complete the job.
Blood borne Pathogens
We remove and dispose of bodily fluids, tissue, and other pathogenic substances resulting from accident, trauma, crime, or death. Trained Professionals thoroughly clean, disinfect, and deodorize the structure.
What to expect in winter – Andover and North Andover
Be prepared this winter and know SERVPRO® of The Andovers is available 24/7/365.
Puffbacks, Chimneys, and Space Heaters
A puffback is a messy furnace malfunction that occurs when an oil burner backfires, sending soot throughout your home or business. It can happen all at once covering an interior in grimy soot or a puffback can leak soot particles more gradually. Likewise a chimney fire could end smoke billowing throughout your home. Proper maintenance of your furnace and regular chimney checkups can help reduce these risks.
Space heaters present a greater potential for human error such as leaving them too close to combustible materials or failing to operate and maintain them properly. It’s important to remember to never sleep or leave a room with a portable heater still on, and keep combustibles at least 3 feet away.
Every year it seems that cold & flu season hits us earlier and harder than the year before. You can help prevent the spread of flu germs by depending on us to sanitize building materials, surfaces, and contents following restoration industry standards. We use professional cleaning products and EPA-registered cleaners and disinfectants.
Be prepared this winter and know SERVPRO® of The Andovers is available 24/7/365.
Preparing for Frozen Pipes and Ice Dams
Ice dams can be a major problem during the winter months. Be sure all gutters are cleaned and secured.
Frozen pipes, puffbacks, ice dams, and the flu. Yes the fresh fallen snow is a beautiful sight for many, but all the complications that can accompany winter may leave you a little uneasy. Maybe you are a new home owner or business owner? Maybe this is your first time in a location where temperatures often dip into the negatives? Either way we have outlined a few of the hazards often seen when we are in the dead of winter.
A frozen pipe can burst at the point where the ice blockage inside the pipe is located, but typically the rupture is caused by the backflow pressure between the water sources and the blockage. A burst pipe can cause considerable damage to your property if not addressed quickly. To learn about how to prepare your home or business click here. (link to winter weather blog)
Ice dams form when heated air melts roof snow downward into water dammed behind still frozen ice. When the trapped water cannot safely flow or run into the gutter system, it can backflow under shingles and into your structure’s interior. Ice dams can be a major problem during the winter months. Be sure all gutters are cleaned and secured.
When you start seeing signs of water damage, call SERVPRO of The Andovers today! 978-475-1199.
Being Prepared with National Preparedness Month
You can also contact your local SERVPRO® to find out more on how to be ready when disaster strikes with the Emergency READY Program®.
This year for National Preparedness Month, join your community in preparing for emergencies and disasters of all types, and leading efforts to encourage the community as a whole to become more prepared. "Disasters happen" and not only devastate individuals and neighborhoods, but entire communities, including businesses of all sizes. We must work together as a team to ensure that our families, businesses, places of worship and neighborhoods are ready. At Ready.gov/business, companies can find vital information on how to begin preparing their organization and addressing their unique needs during an emergency. If A Disaster Strikes, Will You Be Ready? It is important to prepare before a disaster occurs. Consider the following steps to help you better prepare for an emergency situation.
- Sign up for local alerts and warnings, download apps and/ or check access for wireless emergency alerts.
- Develop and test emergency communication plans.
- Assemble or update emergency supplies.
- Learn about local hazards and conduct a drill to practice emergency response actions.
- Participate in a preparedness discussion, training or class.
- Collect and safeguard critical documents.
- Plan with neighbors to help each other and share resources.
- Document property and obtain appropriate insurance for relevant hazards.
- Make property improvements to reduce potential injury and property damage.
Emergencies can happen anytime to anyone. Take action now to protect yourself and your property
When an ERP Can Save Your Business
We’re a leader in giving control back to homeowners, property managers, and even entire communities after the ravaging effects of water or fire.
Here are 8 reasons why your company should get an Emergency Ready Profile® today on every one of your buildings.
- A no-cost assessment of your facility.
- A concise Profile document that contains only the critical information needed in the event of an emergency.
- A guide to help you get back into your building following a disaster.
- Establishes your local SERVPRO® Franchise Professional as your disaster mitigation and restoration provider.
- Identification of the line of command for authorizing work to begin.
- Provides facility details such as shut-off valve locations, priority areas, and priority contact information.
When fire or water damage puts the things that matter most on the line, you need the very best help on the line as well. That’s why knowing the easiest ways to contact SERVPRO® of The Andovers is so important. Just go to our website on your mobile phone or call 978-475-1199 to get the team that’s faster to any size disaster. So whether you’re responsible for 1,000 square feet or 100,000 – be ready for the worst with the very best.
SERVPRO® of The Andovers is part of a Franchise System that has more than 50 years of leadership in cleanup and restoration. Our track record of results has earned us the trust of the insurance industry, countless homeowners.
A Moment to Remember from SERVPRO of The Andovers
On this day and everyday, SERVPRO® of The Andovers salutes those heroes who arrive in the greatest times of need and stand strong in the face of disaster. These heroes are the First Responders who keep our communities safe in trying times.
In honor and memory of those who died on September 11, 2001, as well as the survivors and First Responders, National Day of Service and Rememberance was established in 2009 as a day of reflection. Led by the Corporation for National and Communtiy Service, this is a day to come together as Americans did following the events of 9/11 to help neighbors in need, and to honor veterans and First Responders in your community.
This year, give back and make a difference in your community. To find a volunteer opportunity near you, or to register your National Day of Service and Rememberance event, visit nationalservice.gov/911day.
Are You ERP Ready?
National Preparedness Month is the perfect opportunity to share the benefits of having a readiness plan in place with your customers, business and family.
The SERVPRO® of The Andovers Emergency READY Profile® (ERP) will help ensure you and your business are always “Ready for whatever happens.”
In the event of an emergency, the SERVPRO® Emergency READY Profile® can help minimize business interruption by having an immediate plan of action in place for your facility. The ERP is a comprehensive document containing critical information about your business, including emergency contact information, shut-off valve locations and priority areas. The ERP is also accessible online using your computer or tablet; download SERVPRO’s free Ready Plan app to access this information at any time using your smartphone or tablet.
The ERP establishes your SERVPRO® of The Andovers as your disaster mitigation and restoration provider, giving you access to over 50 years experience and a System more than 1,700 Franchises strong. Knowing what to do and who to call in advance is key to quick response and timely mitigation. Having a plan in place may help minimize the amount of time your business is inactive and get you back in the building following a disaster.
Preparation is the key to making it through any size disaster, whether it is a small water leak, a large fire or an area flood. The best time to plan for such events is not when the event happens, but well before it happens. No one ever plans on a disaster, but now, you can plan for it.
The ERP is a no-cost assessment; all it requires is a little time, making it a great value that could save a lot of time in the future. Call us today at 978-475-1199 to establish your Emergency READY Profile®.
When Disasters Happen
As a business owner, insurer or property manager, you are a leader in your community and have the opportunity to set an example for your employees, customers and community to follow.
This year for National Preparedness Month, join your community in preparing for emergencies and disasters of all types, and leading efforts to encourage the community as a whole to become more prepared. “Disasters happen” and not only devastate individuals and neighborhoods, but entire communities, including businesses of all sizes.
As an employer in your community, having a business continuity plan can help protect your company, its employees and its infrastructure, and maximizes your chances of recovery after an emergency or disaster. You can do this by taking three simple steps:
- Plan to stay in business
- Encourage your employees to become ready
- Protect your investment
We must work together as a team to ensure that our families, businesses, places of worship and neighborhoods are ready. At Ready.gov/business, companies can find vital information on how to begin preparing their organization and addressing their unique needs during an emergency. You can also contact your SERVPRO® of The Andovers Professional to find out more on how to be ready when disaster strikes with the Emergency READY Program®.