Preparing your home and business for winter
With the holiday season upon us, we all know that means winter and all Mother Nature has to unleash is not far behind. Colder temperatures can bring frozen pipes, puffbacks, ice dams, and the flu. There are however many things you can do to help prepare your home and/or business for all winter throws at us.
Preparing your home:
- Keep cabinet doors open during cold spells so warm air can circulate around pipes.
- Keep a slow trickle of water flowing through faucets especially if they run through unheated or uninsulated areas of your home.
- Ensure gutter are clean and secure. Leaves and debris can accumulate in gutters which could lead to roof problems and water damage.
- Proper maintenance of your furnace can help reduce the risk of puffbacks.
Preparing your business:
- Inspect your business property for downed tree limbs and branches. Heavy wind , rain, ice, or snow can cause branches to fall which could cause damage to the property and potentially cause personal injuries.
- Check walkways and parking lots for proper drainage to alleviate flood hazard potential.
- Inspect all handrails, stairwells, and entryways to address and correct potentially slippery or hazardous areas. Install mats or non-slip surfaces and post caution signs where water could be present.
- Contact your local Sales & Marketing Representative at SERVPRO® of The Andovers, and ask about starting and Emergency Ready Profile (ERP) for your business. Click here to learn more about the ERP.