Keep Your Home Safe from the Fireplace
While the cold weather is still here, many use their fireplaces to take out the chill. It is very important to follow fireplace safety, and these 8 tips will help guide you.
- Have your fireplace cleaned and inspected by a professional. There could be soot build up, cracks, or loose bricks.
- Check your fire and carbon monoxide detectors to help avoid fire and smoke damage. It is a good practice to replace the batteries every spring and fall when we change the clocks.
- Ensure your chimney is capped. This keeps rain, birds, squirrels and debris from entering.
- Use kindling to start the fire instead of flammable liquids. Also be sure to burn well-seasoned wood.
- Don’t overload your fireplace. A fire that is too hot can crack your chimney, and could get out of control very quickly.
- Use a spark guard to keep any ambers from shooting out damaging your floor and possibly igniting a fire.
- Have a metal container nearby to remove and store hot ash. These ambers can stay hot for a while so be sure to keep it a safe distance outside away from your home.
- Even if you had your chimney inspected, look for signs of creosote and soot buildup. Creosote is a dark substance that can build up if wood isn’t burning completely.
No need to get the chills this winter! By following these simple tips, you can help keep your family safe until warmer temperatures return.
In need of a cleaning from the soot or have a fire? Call SERVPRO of The Andovers to help make it "Like it never even happened."