Summer Storms can Cause Big Issues
Summer weather can bring summer storms that can have a huge impact on your home or business if you are not properly prepared. Whether it is heavy rain or damaging winds it can cause serious property damage. While you can't control the weather, you can take steps to be prepared, and help take the sting out of weather.
To help prevent costly damages due to weather, consider taking the following precautions before weather hits.
- Check your property for downed tree limbs and other problems that could cause serious injuries.
- Roofs, water pipes and gutters should all be inspected to ensure they are in proper order. Gutter downspouts should be directed away from your home to try and keep water out of the basement. Clear gutters of debris that may have gathered. Leaves and other obstructions can lead to a damming effect, causing roof damage and interior water problems.
- Inspect property, especially walkways and parking lots, for proper drainage to alleviate flood hazard
- Inspect all hand rails, stairwells and entryways to address and correct potential slippery or hazardous areas. Install mats or non-slip surfaces and post caution signs where water could be present.
- Stay safe if you get caught in the storm, make sure you are safe. If needed, pull over and ride out the storm.
- Keep SERVPRO of The Andover's phone number handy just in case the outside damage comes in.
When storm damage affects your home, call SERVPRO of The Andovers right away at 978-475-1199.
Full Service SERVPRO
SERVPRO of The Andovers is so happy to be able to offer our commercial clients in Andovers and North Andover, MA full service with the new addition of a reconstruction division! Many, if not all, of our clients are thrilled to learn we can now handle their claim from start, all the way to the finish line! This allows our customer to continue to great the same great service they are used to see on the mitigation side transition directly over to the repairs portion of the claim. Our recon team writes in the same estimating program as the insurance companies, making the process of getting your business reopened as painless and smooth as possible. SERVPRO is also continuing to offer excellent response times for our clients, setting our reconstruction division apart from many other general contractors that are booked solid months in advance!
Call SERVPRO of The Andovers today for any further information! 978.475.1199
When Water Becomes Mold
When there's a water intrusion, like a roof leak or leaking water line, mold can quickly become a problem in your home or business. Mold can cause health effects and can also cause significant damage to your property. Fortunately, your SERVPRO® of The Andovers has the training, protective gear, and specialized equipment necessary to handle your mold problem. Although every mold damage scenario is different requiring a unique solution, the general mold remediation process stays the same. The following steps illustrate a "typical" mold removal process.
Call 978-475-1199 for help with your mold remediation needs.
The mold cleanup and restoration process begins when you call SERVPRO of The Andovers. A representative will ask a series of questions to help determine the necessary equipment, resources, and personnel needed.
Inspection and Damage Assessment
Your property will be carefully inspected for signs of mold using technology designed to detect mold and hidden water sources. Mold feeds on cellulose and water and can be hidden from plain view.
Various containment procedures will be placed to prevent the spread of mold and isolate the contaminated area with physical barriers and negative air pressure to keep the mold spores from spreading during the cleanup process.
Specialized filtration equipment captures microscopic mold spores out of the air. SERVPRO® technicians utilize powerful air scrubbers and HEPA vacuums to prevent the spread of these mold spores while the mold remediation is in progress.
Odors Eliminated, not Masked
Even a small fire can cause odors for years to come if the affected areas are not properly cleaned and deodorized. Fire, smoke and soot damage in your home or business can create unpleasant and potentially permanent problems.
As various materials burn, the smoke produced travels throughout the structure, leaving odorous residues and deposits on surfaces and in hard to reach places. Unless fast, professional action is taken, these residues and deposits can cause permanent damage to contents and may result in resurfacing odors.
SERVPRO of The Andovers can provide specialized services that rid your home or business of offensive odors left by fire or smoke damage. Any restorable item in affected areas will be professionally cleaned and deodorized, including: furniture, draperies and upholstery, electronics, art, flooring, walls, ceilings, HVAC air ducts, and more.
SERVPRO of The Andovers does not cover up lingering odors with a fragrance, they seek out and remove the sources of the odor. Ask your SERVPRO representative to explain the various deodorization methods available and which will work best for you.
If you or a customer suffer a fire damage or some other accident and require deodorization services please visit our website or contact SERVPRO of The Andovers at 978-475-1199. Whether it's fire, water or mold damage, or just a stubborn odor that refuses to go away, we'll make it "Like it never even happened."
Heating Safety Tips
There is something about the winter months and curling up with a good book by the fireplace. But did you know that heating equipment is one of the leading causes of home fire deaths? With a few simple safety tips and precautions you can prevent most heating fires from happening.
be warm and safe this winter!
• Keep anything that can burn at least three-feet (one metre) away from heating equipment, like the furnace, fireplace, wood stove, or portable space heater.
• Have a three-foot (one metre) “kid-free zone” around open fires and space heaters.
• Never use your oven to heat your home.
• Have a qualified professional install stationary space heating equipment, water heaters or central heating equipment according to the local codes and manufacturer’s instructions.
• Have heating equipment and chimneys cleaned and inspected every year by a qualified professional.
• Remember to turn portable heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed.
• Always use the right kind of fuel, specified by the manufacturer, for fuel burning space heaters.
• Make sure the fireplace has a sturdy screen to stop sparks from flying into the room. Ashes should be cool before putting them in a metal container. Keep the container a safe distance away from your home.
• Test smoke alarms at least once a month.
nfpa.org/education ©NFPA 2017
SERVPRO, Always Here to Help
When fire or water damage puts the things that matter most on the line, you need the very best help on the line as well. That’s why knowing the easiest ways to contact SERVPRO® of The Andovers is so vital. Just go SERVPROtheAndovers.com on your mobile phone or call 978-475-9700 to get the team that’s faster to any size disaster. We’re a leader in giving control back to homeowners, property managers, and even entire communities after the devastating effects of water or fire. So whether you’re responsible for 1,000 square feet or 100,000 – be ready for the worst with the very best.
Here are 8 reasons why your company should get an Emergency Ready Profile® today on every one of your buildings.
- A no-cost assessment of your facility.
- A concise Profile document that contains only the critical information needed in the event of an emergency.
- A guide to help you get back into your building following a disaster.
- Establishes your local SERVPRO® Franchise Professional as your disaster mitigation and restoration provider.
- Identification of the line of command for authorizing work to begin.
- Provides facility details such as shut-off valve locations, priority areas, and priority contact information.
SERVPRO® of The Andovers is part of a Franchise System that has more than 50 years of leadership in cleanup and restoration. Our track record of results has earned us the trust of the insurance industry, countless homeowners, and in one unforgettable instance, even the Pentagon. We are quietly taking to the streets, every hour of every day, proving that whenever there is a house full of water or an office full of smoke, there is also a van full of clean.
Fire Safety Tips from SERVPRO
A fire can occur anywhere, at any time-in fact, in 2014, wildfire occurrences alone were recorded in all 50 states. What is a wildfire? It is an unplanned, unwanted fire burning in a natural area, such as a forest, grassland, or prairie. A wildfire can destroy homes, businesses, agriculture, and damage natural resources while threatening the safety of the public and the firefighters who protect our forests and communities. Wildfires can occur at any time throughout the year, but the potential is always higher during periods with little or no rainfall, which make brush, grass, and trees dry and burn more easily. They also can be started off a smaller fire in a home or out in the open. High winds can also contribute to spreading the fire.
If you live or work in an area that has the potential to be affected by fire, consider the following safety tips to help prevent it from spreading:
Wildfire Safety Tips
- Clear leaves and other debris from gutters, eaves, porches and decks. Remove dead vegetation from under your deck and within 10 feet of the house. This prevents embers from igniting your home.
- Remove anything stored underneath decks or porches. Screen or box-in areas below patios and decks with wire mesh to prevent debris from accumulating.
- Ensure flammable materials (firewood stacks, propane tanks, dry vegetation) are more than 30 feet from your home or business's foundation and outbuildings.
- Wildfire can spread to tree tops. If you have trees on your property, prune so the lowest branches are 6 to 10 feet from the ground.
- Keep your lawn hydrated and maintained. If it is brown, cut it down to reduce fire intensity. Dry grass and shrubs are fuel for wildfire.
SERVPRO® of The Andovers is here to return your home to pre loss condition. When in doubt, call us at 978-475-1199
SERVPRO Keeps you Safe!
Stay home. If you really don’t have to go out, don’t. Even if you can drive well in the snow, not everyone else can.
There is more snow coming our way! Please follow these helpful tips to stay safe:
- If you have to travel, please be careful when out and about as the roads may be slippery.
- Leave the plows extra room to help take care of our roads.
- Keep a few extra car lengths between you and other travelers just in case anyone needs to stop quickly
- Keep your gas tank at least 1/2 full to avoid freezing lines
- Drive slowly. Everything takes longer on snow-covered roads. Accelerating, stopping, turning – nothing happens as quickly as on dry pavement. Give yourself time to maneuver by driving slowly.
- AAA shares this tip if you are traveling long distances: Pack a cellular telephone with your local AAA’s telephone number, plus blankets, gloves, hats, food, water and any needed medication in your vehicle.
And as always, thank you to all of our emergency responders and utility workers who have to respond.
Please stay safe if you have to travel and as always, if you can, stay home.
How SERVPRO works directly with your Insurance!
A basement or cellar can flood at any time, although flooding most often occurs during heavy rainfall. Basements are inherently prone to flooding because they are the lowest level of a building and are normally built partly or entirely below ground level. There are a number of reasons why your Andover/North Andover basement could flood, including:
A blocked or failed sewer lateral pipe
Heavy rain causes surface water to pool around your home
Storm sewer backup
Sanitary sewer backup
Foundation drainage failure
Water supply-line break or hot-water tank failure
And many more
Have Questions about Basement Flooding?
Call Today - 978-475-1199
If flood water is not handled quickly and properly, it can jeopardize your health and safety, and cause severe damage to your home’s structure. Remember, the longer you wait, the worse the problem will get.
The bottom line: a flooded basement can jeopardize your health, safety, and your home’s integrity. It’s worth making a call to SERVPRO of The Andovers and let our trained, professional crews handle the situation safely and correctly. We have earned the trust of hundreds of homeowners, business owners, and property professionals.
We are Flooded Basement Specialists:
We are Available 24 hours/7 days per week
We’re a Preferred Vendor to many National Insurance Companies
We Bill The Insurance Directly – One Less Thing For You To Worry About
Our Technicians are Highly-Trained in Water Restoration Techniques
We use S500 IICRC Restoration Standards
Advanced Inspection and Extraction Equipment
Basement Flooded? Call Us Today – We’re Ready To Help 978-475-1199
Dressing for whatever Mother Nature Brings!
Winter time in and around Andover and North Andover can be very beautiful! It can also bring lots of weather hazards. Dressing in layers and taking steps to each your body properly fuel should ensure you can enjoy all that winter has to offer!
1. Wear layers - Many layers trap more heat in than just a big jacket alone
2. Hat and Gloves - Most of the body's heat loss occurs in these extremities so keep them covered.
3. Stay Dry - Water compounds any cold weather situation and dramatically speeds up heat loss. For example, wet feet loss heat 25 times faster than dry feet.
4. Take a break - take frequent, short breaks in a warm dry shelter to let your body heat up.
5. Feed! - Eating warm, high calorie foods will give your body the energy it needs to create body heat. Pasta, warm sugar water/sports drinks, etc.
Stay Safe and Warm!