Is Your Business Ready for Winter?
The Farmer's Almanac, which has an 80% accuracy, is predicting a winter of icy temperatures and filled with snow! As some of us have now seen our first snow of the year, it is time to start thinking about what type of impact the cold weather can have on your business. With winter, we have all experienced the frigid temperatures, heavy (weight and volume) of snow, sleet and ice dams. These can all cause damage to your property if the proper steps are not taken. Below is our top ten practices to prevent costly damages.
Before the Winter:
- Make sure gutters are pointed away from the building and clear of all debris.
- Inspect the roof and all water pipes to make sure they are in optimal working condition.
- Check walkways and parking lots before winter comes in strong to make sure there are no hazards that could be covered and cause damage to a car or person.
- Install mats or non-slip surfaces where water and ice could create potential hazards
- For any outdoor faucets, consider shutting off the water supply to it from inside at the main valve. Then, open the outdoor faucet to let it drip, releasing any water that could freeze.
- Create a plan for if power is lost. How will heat be maintained so that pipes don't freeze?
- If you have a generator, make sure it is ready for use outdoors, and that you have fuel on hand to service it.
During the winter:
- Be aware of any downed limbs or trees on your property. This winter weather can cause these to fall and therefore cause damage to your building.
- Continuously check walkways, handrails, stairs and parking lots to make sure they are safe for your customers.
- Protect your pipes from freezing. A simple way to do this, is when temperatures are going to drop below freezing, allow your faucets to have a small drip. Any pipes that are in cabinets, just open the doors so they can receive the warmth of the building surrounding it.
Most importantly, work with SERVPRO of The Andovers to prepare an Emergency Ready Plan (ERP) for your business. This is a no cost analysis for your property that will provide a plan for your business to get back up and running as quickly as possible following any type of disaster.
Do you have other things you do to help? Let us know, and we can continue growing our list!
For help with damage that may occur to your property, please visit our website or call SERVPRO® of The Andovers at 978-688-2242.
About SERVPRO® Founded in 1967, the SERVPRO® Franchise System is a leader and provider of fire and water cleanup and restoration services and mold mitigation and remediation. SERVPRO’s professional services network of more than 1,700 individually owned and operated Franchises responds to property damage emergencies ranging from small individual disasters to multi-million dollar large-loss events. Providing coverage in the United States and Canada, the SERVPRO® System has established relationships with major insurance companies and commercial clients, as well as individual homeowners.